Last Updated on
Dandruff Remedies at Home
Dandruff is a highly annoying skin disorder of the scalp. It is a problem that affects 70% of the world population. There are many natural dandruff remedies at home that may help you to get rid of dandruff disorder.
Dandruff is one of the most common hair problems that a lot of people encounter at least once in their lives. If you are one of those few people who is suffering from the embarrassing effects of dandruff, then you may want to read on to find unique dandruff remedies at home that work for you.
The most common methods of treating dandruff are by the use of anti-dandruff shampoos, and recently herbs have also been a favorite remedy. But, there have also been recent studies about the effectiveness in treating dandruff with some common items found lying around your house.
Some may seem like an absurd idea, but they have been proven to be great remedies for dandruff as well.
- One of the common natural dandruff remedies at home is known as tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is an important ingredient of various anti-dandruff shampoos.
- Add two spoonfuls pure vinegar in five spoonfuls water- and apply it on the scalp with help of cotton wool before going to bed. Wash your hair with normal water in the next morning. After shampooing, rinse again with vinegar water. Continue this once a week for at least four months.
- Use a medicated anti-dandruff shampoo- It will reduce the speed of the re-growth of the cells on the scalp, thus lessening the cell replacement and continue decreasing the amount of dandruff. The shampoo should also have an antiseptic that will help prevent infection of your scalp so as to reduce itchiness and inflammation.
- Stop using hairsprays, gels and hair-coloring products- They are the main culprit that harms your hair and scalp.
- Another natural Dandruff Remedies at Home is the use of neem oil- It gives fast relief from itchiness and redness of scalp associated with dandruff and psoriasis conditions.
- Restrict yourself from changing shampoos every day and stick to one that suits your constitution and scalp condition- Always keep the scalp clean by regular cleansing methods to prevent hair fall and other hair related problems.
- Mix one teaspoon fresh lemon juice with two teaspoons vinegar- Massage this mixture to the scalp. After massaging, apply egg shampoo to the hair. This is a very common and effective Dandruff Remedies at Home.
- Boil two cups dried thyme and water in a span of for 10 minutes- When the concoction cools, massage the hair and scalp well and let it stay for half an hour. Then wash with water.
When the cells of the scalp of the head excessively rough die and flake off, the condition is known as dandruff. Dandruff is easily visible as types of flakes present in the hair, most often accompanied by itchiness of the scalp.
The itchiness can be mild or severe depending on the amount of dandruff that is present on the scalp.
Though dandruff is mostly observed on the scalp of the head, it can also be present also in the ears, eyebrows and the forehead. Medical science is still not clearly describe why dandruff occurs, and why it is more prevalent in some people than in others.
Some doctors indicate at dandruff being a type of infection of the yeast Pityrosporum ovale. There are also direct observation results proving that dandruff occurs due to the hyperactivity of the sebaceous glands of the scalp. Dandruff is aggravated by various factors; so allergic causes can also be considered.
(1) Useful Herbs in the Treatment of Dandruff
1. Alfalfa (Medicago satin)
The alfalfa has a remarkable effect on the growth of hair. Its effects are more increased by the combination of carrots and lettuce with the alfalfa.
2. Ash Gourd (Benincasa Hipsida)
The peel and the seeds of the ash gourd are highly effective in the treatment of dandruff. Regular use can keep the scalp moist, soft and livelier which will prevent dandruff.
3. Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum)
Fenugreek seeds have good curative powers to reduce dandruff. They are mix and softened in water and applied to the scalp every morning. After an hour or so, and after they are washed with soap nut. This process keeps dandruff away and prevents falling hair.
4. Indian Hemp (Cannabis sativa)
The juice of the Indian hemp is highly effective and can reduce dandruff when it is applied directly over the scalp.
5. Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Rosemary is an active ingredient of several brain tonics and shampoos. It rejuvenates the scalp by keeping it moist and hence prevents dandruff development. It is also used in the treatment and precaution of premature baldness.
(2) Dietary Treatments for Dandruff
If dandruff is caused due to some food allergy, then stopping the consumption of that food will directly eliminate dandruff. Even if no particular allergy is identified, it is found that healthy food and diet can keep the scalp healthy and thus reduce the chances of dandruff.
The following are some dietary guidelines that can be used to prevent or reduce dandruff complications:-
- Milk, dairy products, kinds of seafood, animal proteins, and fatty foods are on the list of foods to be avoided for people with dandruff.
- Vitamin C is not good for dandruff. Most of the sour tasting foods have vitamin C in them. Therefore, tomatoes, oranges, lemons, tamarind, etc. which contain acidic content, must be avoided.
- Fresh vegetables and fruits must be included in your diet. Use of Green vegetables have the best effects.
- Fermented foods and baked products, fast food must be avoided. This includes pieces of bread, burger, cheese, wine and all kinds of alcohol.
(3) Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff
There are many Ayurvedic Dandruff Remedies at Home that can be used for the treatment and prevention of dandruff.
- A For external application, Dudurpatradi tailam is prescribed.
- Gandhaka Rasayana is used as an internal medicine for the treatment and prevention of dandruff.
- Taking one teaspoonful of Brihat Haridra Khand in a glass of milk twice a day takes care of and prevention of dandruff quite efficiently. Along with that, it also darkens the color of the hair.
- Since dandruff can be due to the impurity in the blood, medicines must also be taken to purify the blood. In Ayurveda, Khadirarishta and Saribadyaasavam are mostly taken for the purification of blood for the best result.
(4) Home Medications – Dandruff Remedies at Home
One simple remedy –
Which is used by most of the people all over the world – is to make a paste of sandalwood oil with triple the quantity of lemon juice and to apply it on the head scalp when still fresh.
Prepare a gel of the fresh leaves of aloe vera
Apply this on the scalp and leave it for overnight. Next morning, wash it with shampoo, preferably containing Shikakai.
Make regular use of a combination of olive oil and ginger root paste on the head
It will reduce dandruff and nourish the hair at the roots.
Make a mixture of ginger root and beetroot
Apply this on the scalp.
2. Apart from these remedies,
there are several things one must do regarding head hygiene in order to reduce and prevent dandruff. These personal hygiene guidelines are:-
A daily bath is essential
Even if you do not use shampoo in your hair daily (if you are doing this, then remember to use a mild shampoo suited to your hair type), you must wash your scalp thoroughly.
After the bath, dry your hair and then brush it in order to remove flaky dandruff from it.
Keep your hair well-oiled
Dandruff tends to be formed more when the skin is dry and Ruf. Also oiling the air will strengthen it at its roots on the scalp.
Some people believe that dandruff is increased also by stress. Hence it is advisable to keep the mind free and happy with the help of yogic asanas.
Probably the most bizarre among them would have to be the use of aspirin. Aspirin actually contains a component which is also present in most anti-dandruff shampoos; this component is salicylic acid.
Salicylic acid helps to remove the accumulation of dead skin cells and also encourages other cells to shed off faster in order to promote the growth of new cells.
You do not need to drink aspirin to treat dandruff, instead what you have to do is crush 2 tablets of aspirin and mix it with the shampoo you use to wash your hair.
Shampoo your hair with this mixture and leave it on for about two minutes before you rinse it thoroughly.
There have also been reports that mouthwash like Listerine is also an effective remedy for treating dandruff. What makes Listerine an effective remedy is its herbal oils and the alcohol content which helps to prevent the infestation of any bacteria.
This reduces the dandruff flakes present on your scalp.
For this remedy, you need to use the original amber colored Listerine. All you have to do is mix it with some water and rinse it thoroughly on your scalp. Leave it on for at least 10 minutes or when you start to feel some sting.
After which, you just have to rinse it well and wash with shampoo and conditioner.
Since dandruff is such a common condition that most people experience, people look for more unique ways of getting rid of it fast and effectively. There are still a lot more unique remedies out there that are waiting to be discovered.
I hope you will find here some useful information related to Dandruff Remedies at Home
This article is not meant to provide health advice and is only for general information. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional and Dermatologist before embarking on any health program.